Thursday, January 8, 2009

Apple, WIP Day One




So....I've started another painting while the other is drying. This time, I'm taking a bit of a different approach to the whole process. I wanted to change my painting style a little, and study what is now called the classic realism style. This style requires a LOT of time and patience, but the rewards are great. So, I went over to WetCanvas, and this site as well, and I found a wealth of information about how to do it.

I went to Lowe's and purchased a 4'x4' panel of 1/8 in. birch wood for about $17. Then I had them quarter the panel into 4 2'x2' panels. They do it for free! When I got the wood home I primed the panels with three coats of gesso, making sure that I sanded with a really smooth grade of sanding paper. The surface of the boards is heavenly. Today I drew my picture on the birch panel using a black Millennium zig pen that has a .05 point. After that I used acrylic paints to lay down the Imprimatura layer. I was happy with the results, and so I continued on to the 1st umber layer. I'm waiting for that to dry now. I'm still not clear on how long it's supposed to take, but I hope it doesn't take a whole week to dry. Maybe I don't have enough patience for this painting style? I would really like to paint like this man, but I don't have the skill yet. I plan on copying this picture anyway...This is my favorite painting.


BTW, I'm sorry about the glare in the photo. The painting is still super wet, and I took the picture at night.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails